Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Rubber Powered Helicopter Event Park Rec Summer Camp

In a previous post I had mentioned the Guillow's rubber powered helicopters and how I thought it worked pretty well. Yesterday was my first experience of using the helicopters with a group of kids and I thought it went really well. Kevin Guy owner of Everything Hobby in Rochester MN had given me a good deal on a box of the helicopters, if you cannot find the helicopters at a hobby shop other stores such as craft stores might sell them.

Assembling Rubber Powered Model Helicopters



The presentation started with giving a little historical background into how Alphonse Penaud had built a successful rubber powered model airplane and rubber powered model helicopters in the mid 1800's.  The Wright Brothers had received a Penaud designed model helicopter for Christmas one year which inspired their interest in flight, resulting in the first full-scale powered airplane.

How to Launch


Flying High



Assembling the helicopters goes pretty quickly maybe 15 minutes with children that might be in 8 to 12 years old. Some kids did need some help but all could do at least some of the work. The winding of the propeller is something that needs to be covered well with the kids or the helicopter just will not fly. I also demonstrated using the Estes Alti Trak Altitude Finder which no doubt was a little advanced for many of the kids but I thought the math exposure would not hurt them either.

Another Great Flight




Helicopter Went 44 Feet High Using Trig


As luck would have it the weather was perfect outdoors and the kids had some great flights with the helicopters. Some of the helicopters went really high so I wonder if some thermal air currents might have helped. I demonstrated flying my AR Drone which the kids thought was cool.

AR Drone




Bill Kuhl
http://www.ideas-inspire.com






1 comment:

  1. It's an remarkable piece of writing in favor of all the web viewers;
    they will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post :: rc boat

    ReplyDelete