Monday, October 8, 2018

Last 2018 Free Flight Contest Minnesota

I was so close to not attending the last 2018 outdoor free flight contest in Minnesota because of the wind prediction and threat of rain. It was cool, dark, and windy at times but the direction gave a good deal of room to drift without getting into trees or corn. For me it was one small problem after another but I still had a great time. At least I should have more time now to get my equipment better prepared for next year.




First Wilbur Flight was high enough for prop to fold





To start flying I decided to take out my Wilbur rubber model that normally flies great but has had issues at the last two contests. Two months ago the center of the wing folded on launch and last contest it would barely climb. The blades were loose on the hub which I repaired and it climbed better in test flight but I did not get up to full winds. At this contest the counter on my winder came loose and the screw was stripped out so I had to count winds and with weird gear ratio that isn’t easy. First test flight it did better than when the blades were loose but after that it just got worse.


Bearing that is Dragging


When I picked up the model with turns left the propeller would barely turn over. The metal sleeve that goes into noseblock hole was loose because it was trying to turn in the balsa. Someone squirted some fuel into the ball bearing thrust bearing that appeared to be dragging. After I glued the sleeve I tried a couple more flights and result was the same. When I got home I looked closer at the ball bearing and it seemed like the two sides of the bearing could be wiggled apart farther than the same type of bearing in another airplane. At times it appeared to turn real hard but not all the time. Replacing the bearing would not be easy as the propeller shaft would have to be broken loose in front where it attaches to the hub.


P30 Still on the Field


For the P30 event I brought my older NJAPF p30 along because I didn’t want to risk my Polecat X in the wind. The fuselage really needs a recovering but the DT line broke just as I tried to wrap it around the rear peg. I didn’t have any line along so I bypassed the DT and hoped for the best. I did not wind it too much because I did not have a counter but I did have a torque meter for P30. Problem was I was not sure what torque would break the rubber. At least I got in 3 official flights and did not lose the model.


No DT Sunday P30


There was another guy flying P30 that did not use a DT because he thought the popoff wing line was causing a trim problem. He made a joke about it being “no DT Sunday” and needing to build a new model. I timed his flight and the model really climbed high, it must have been in enough lift to maintain although it wasn’t climbing any higher. After 2 ½ minutes I lost sight of it but he was able to find the model without a tracker. 


1/2 A Streak Missed Puddle


I flew my ½ A Streak after that just for fun. It was a little harder getting the glow motor running at 50 degrees than when it is 80 degrees. The needle valve needed some adjusting but then it ran well and pulled the plane to a good height. Transition was good and the glide did not stall and was in a gentle right circle, just came down too fast.




My DLG changed trim from last time flying, thought I was getting it readjusted and then it crashed. Like every contest the time just went too fast, I leave rather early because it is a 3 hour drive home. Closing with more pictures from the contest.


Gary Oakin's Rubber Model



Dave Braun's Scale Model Did not Like the Wind













Bill Kuhl
http://www.ideas-inspire.com


No comments:

Post a Comment