Friday, November 6, 2015

Armistice Day Storm Interview

Several years ago I had received an email from Tim Eisele from Madison Wisconsin, an outdoor writer who was working on an article on the famous Armistice Day Storm of 1940. This year will mark the 75th anniversary of that tragic blizzard that claimed the lives of many duck hunters. Our local aviation hero Max Conrad assisted in the Winona rescue effort by flying a Piper Cub in winds gusting over 50 mph for two days dropping supplies and guiding the rescue boats.




Max Conrad Placemat

Tim had seen the Max Conrad website I had created and that is why he had contacted me, I have since given the website domain to members of the Conrad family so they could create a website dedicated to the memory of their father. After meeting for lunch in Winona for an interview with me, we went out to Max Conrad Field where Tim took a picture of me in front of the sign. In our talking when I mentioned my science projects website and activities Tim told me his wife was part of the Wisconsin Afterschool Association and might be interested in what I was doing.


Wisconsin After School Conference Mousetrap Cars
After contacting Tim’s wife, she put me in contact with other people at the association and I was given the chance to teach a class at their conference in Madison. The first year that I went the class was on building mousetrap cars, the second year the class was on building foam model airplanes. What a thrill it was to teach to teachers who could pass on my knowledge to students.

Second Conference Foam Model Airplanes





Due to other obligations I have not been back to teach again. I had almost forgotten about the article that just ran in the Wisconsin Outdoor News October 2015 magazine.  It really has been amazing to me through the projects I have done and what I have shared over the Internet the many wonderful people I have met and the opportunities that I was given.

Bill Kuhl
http://www.ideas-inspire.com

Related Links

Max Conrad Website current

My first Max Conrad Website

Wisconsin After School Conference blog post








No comments:

Post a Comment