Friday, December 11, 2015

Flight Club UK After School Activity

Equally as interesting to the people I have connected with all over the world because of my activities in model aviation and project-based learning is learning a little about the area they live in. Most recently I connected with Jon Kemm in the small town of Rye in East Sussex UK. Jon teaches computing and STEM but has recently started a model airplane club at the school known as Flight Club. Club meetings are during lunch and after school.  Jon had connected with me through the Facebook group I had started, “Simple Foam Free Flight Airplane” that is currently at 149 members. 


Flight Club Members Hard at Work

Jon had messaged me about his plan to have the club build a glider version that was similar to the Fantastic Foam Flyer rubber powered airplane on my website. Instead of using foam obtained from foam plates, Depron foam was purchased.  Jon sent me a short video of his son launching a prototype glider in the house; it looked to fly pretty well.



Prototype Tests


Weekly flight report articles were published on the Flight Club website which included short videos also. I am really amazed at how well this plane flies as a glider, I thought maybe with so much bend in the wing airfoil there would be too much drag for gliding. Their design was changed from mine in that the flat center section of the wing is larger and the tips are smaller.


Besides the shared interest in computers and STEM projects, Jon also flies radio control slope soaring gliders and has a webpage for that known as General Tom Foolery. Amazing scenery and big hills where they fly from; while I fly my slope gliders from tiny hills. I checked out more pictures from the area, reminds me of one of my favorite TV shows Doc Martin.


Bill Kuhl
http://www.ideas-inspire.com


Related Links

Flight Club RC

GeneralTomFoolery Website

Rye College

About Rye East Sussex UK

Fantastic Foam Flyer

Simple Foam Free Flight Airplane - Facebook Group

Foam Plate and Plastic Straw Gliders - article on Ideas-Inspire.com


Flight Club Gliders - Hall Flying Shenanigans



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information. Hope devotes will be careful after reading this post.Regards

    After School Activities

    ReplyDelete