Monday, April 16, 2018

Viscous DT on Blue Ridge Special Rubber Model

For a long time I have had this idea about installing a viscous DT (dethermalizer) system on a sport rubber powered free flight model. My first experiment installing a DT system was to install a fuse on a Guillow’s Lancer. This worked well and gave me experience handling a fuse but I wanted to try a viscous system because I wanted a system kids could use without playing with fire. Presently I am writing a couple of articles on viscous DT systems so this would be a good time to try a system on a smaller airplane.









Previously I had built a Blue Ridge Special from plans but lost it this winter on a frozen lake, I had the Volare two plane short kit so decided to build one and install a tiny rotary damper system using the E2 style rotary damper, the price is under $3. To keep the weight of the airplane as light as possible I used really light wood, which the instructions caution against. The leading edge started to bow in but I warped it straight, the problem came back when I covered the plane with Esaki tissue. All the covering was ripped off and laminated a piece of 1/16” square to the leading edge. Recovering went better except now the trailing edge was too soft. When I build the second model I think a light plastic will be used.







To make a timer I referred to Manuel Cisneros article; you remove a plastic gear, slip a tube over the shaft, and place a pin through the shaft. My particular rotary damper appeared to take more force to turn it so I slipped another plastic tube over the first tube to increase the torque. On this same model rotary damper on a glider it turned fine without the extra tube. The rotary damper was mounted on top of the fuselage because I was afraid it might interfere with the rubber motor if mounted on the side. Instead of popping up the rear of the stabilizer I decided to pop up the front of the wing. 

Coming Down from DT 







Recently I purchased a couple of small needle nose pliers with rounded jaws, this tool works good for bending wire in nice looking loops. All the wire used was from a common straight pin. The hinge in the rear of the wing would have a good deal of stress on it so I used a small strip of fiberglass cloth over it. Two sides of 1/16” balsa were used to make a small pylon, a short length of 1/8” square balsa under center of the wing in front slides into the groove between the two pylon sides. This should keep the wing from shifting in flight. A toothpick made a good peg for the DT line to wrap around. 






Everything appears to work fine on the ground, waiting for better weather for test flights. The weight of the plane without rubber was 11 grams, the rotary damper only weigh 3/10 of a gram. When I am happy with how this works I will build the other kit and do a better job of covering the wing.

Bill Kuhl
http://www.ideas-inpire.com


Related Links

https://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=1096    Volare Short-kit 2 Pack

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2013/10/rigid-construction-for-simple-rubber.html  First Blue Ridge

http://store.easylift.com/frt-e2-400-g1/ rotary damper used

http://www.oaklandclouddusters.org/resources/Documents/Articles/In%20the%20Workshop/Rotary_Damper_Timer_Build.pdf  Manuel Cisneros article on rotary dampers

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2016/09/i-have-short-fuse-on-guillows-lancer.html Fuse on Lancer

https://youtu.be/2hifn3N3OZY video of Lancer flying and fuse DT

No comments:

Post a Comment