Friday, May 30, 2014

500 Years of Aviation Presentation - Friendship Center

Any chance I can get to talk about aviation and show off flying models I take. Yesterday I gave a 45 minute presentation at the Winona Friendship Center that was an updated version a presentation I had done previously. This time I demonstrated flying small quadcopters and walkalong gliders. For non-flying visual aids I had wood models of Leonardo Da Vinci Aerial Screw and Ornithopter and demonstrated the difference between a electric motor with brushes and a brushless motor. Sort of flying demonstration was the flying ball in an air stream.





The major theme I try to get across in the presentations is how ideas inspire others to expand on and improve concepts. Besides talking about the historic aviators I show the idea of  how the FPG-9 (foam plate glider) can be expanded on. I launch my foam gliders in front of the audience and explain what ideas I incorporated in each design.


Tiny Quadcopter Great for Flying in Small Areas



Rather Small Area to Fly but I Did

To show technology of model aviation has become so sophisticated I show my modern computer radio with audio prompts, downloadable software updates, and model memory for a couple hundred models. I flew the MiniVapor which flies well in small areas. I also flew a free flight mini-stick to show how a free flight airplane can fly in a tiny area also.




Mini Vapor



Hammer Down Foam Glider

Foam Plate and Straw Glider


Foam Jet II Glider


Granted not that many people attended but I have done presentations like this several times so that is understandable. It really inspired some good conversation afterwards for at least 30 minutes, I thought that was the best part. One person saw the possibilities for some kid events based on some of what they had seen.

Bill Kuhl
http://www.ideas-inspire.com

Related Links

Foam Plate and Straw Gliders
Rubber Powered Foam Airplanes
Hammer Down Foam Catapult Glider
Foam Jet II Glider

Rubber Powered Orntithopter
Progression of Ideas Foam Gliders

No comments:

Post a Comment