Monday, February 29, 2016

Another Nursing Home Presentation

I have not been overwhelmed by invitations to give demonstrations of the science related projects on my Ideas-inspire website lately, but I have not made an effort to find new venues either. Yesterday I gave a presentation at a nursing home, which was the second time. The first presentation was related to aviation history through model aviation, the presentation yesterday was about the other projects on my website.





In doing the presentations I try to tailor what I talk about to my intended audience, I put some thought into how I could relate my projects to an older group. To start the conversation I tried to relate to everyone’s childhood and how it was so common for kids to be building such things as kites, model airplanes, or their own skis.  Getting much of a reaction in an older group is not easy but I felt at least I was connecting with at least a few people.


Aviation History Presentation

For the rest of the demonstration I gave a history of the various projects and how I had selected the project for the various student groups that I have taught classes for. I did start with a short flight of my Fantastic Foam Flyer model airplane because my interest in model projects started with model aviation. There was one guy that was really fascinated by the model airplane and wants me to help him build one which I will. Next I showed the water rocket design I use for classes as this was the first project I tried beyond model airplanes. 


Tractor Designed and Built by My Father

 Projects that could be demonstrated in the room next were mousetrap cars, a windmill, electric motors, and the syringe arm. People were impressed that my projects could be built with cheap or free materials. I also mentioned my father who was an inventor of farm machinery and held several patents. To end the presentation I demonstrated a Lego robot that followed a black line around an oval track. This is not one of my projects but relates more closely to what more students are interested in.


Lego Robot on Second Floor

 As I was taking everything to my car someone spotted me down on the first floor and said a few people were waiting there for my presentation which had been moved to the second floor. I went back to my car to retrieve everything and gave another presentation for a smaller group. One person that was younger than most of the residents were really interested in what I brought.


Lego Robot on First
Update 3/5/2016



I brought materials in for resident to build the Fantastic Foam Flyer airplane and he did pretty well. Some short flights were made in dining room and halls. He wants to build a different project now so I think we will build a mousetrap car next.
Bill Kuhl
http://www.ideas-inspire.com

Related Articles

Model Aviation History Demonstration for Nursing Home

A Little bit About my Father




No comments:

Post a Comment