Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Why I Like Free Flight IV – Exploring

Recently I was on rather long hike covering ground I had only walked once before but this time coming from the opposite direction, it was a surprise to me what I would see going around the next bend in the trail. It had me thinking what most people find interesting, is being exposed to new things even if they never leave their house. Yes you can explore so much on the Internet but I like to explore things while working with my hands. I found this statement on the NASA website which kind of sounds like the intro to an episode of Star Trek but it had me thinking why I keep wanting to try new aspects in my hobbies.


Burning Fuse DT

“Humans are driven to explore the unknown, discover new worlds, push the boundaries of our scientific and technical limits, and then push further. The intangible desire to explore and challenge the boundaries of what we know and where we have been has provided benefits to our society for centuries.”


Braiding a Large Rubber Motor New Challenge


In the last couple of years in building and competing with free flight model airplanes I feel like I have been continually pushing my technical limits. I have been exploring different means of propulsion, covering methods, and sizes of aircraft. It seems like I have been on a quest to try just about every method of bringing the aircraft down from a thermal (DT) from burning rope to several electronic dethermalizers. 


Electronic Band Burning DT


In writing my articles of free flight model aviation I realized I really do not have anything new to offer as far as new knowledge on aspects of free flight. What I can offer is how I have approached the many challenges and the experiences I am having. No doubt the experienced modelers have gone through very similar experiences and my writing makes them think of the similar experiences they had while learning.


Building from Plans was a Challenge

Delving even farther to the psychological aspects on why I enjoy this hobby so much I found this in an article in Psychology Today:

“Too much time on technological devices and the fact that we buy almost all of what we need rather than having to make it has deprived us of processes that provide pleasure, meaning and pride.  Making things promotes psychological well-being.”

Next Free Flight Challenge

My next big challenge is building a larger glow powered free flight model, the Witch Hawk 500 from the BMJR kit. Building is not too much of a challenge but this will be the first time I will setup a pressurized fuel system controlled by a mechanical timer.

Bill Kuhl
http://www.ideas-inspire.com

Related Links

http://www.bmjrmodels.com/witch-hawk-500 - Witch Hawk 500 BMJR
http://www.texastimers.com/timers/two_function_full_dt.htm - Texas Timers Max III

No comments:

Post a Comment