Thursday, November 16, 2017

What I like About Free Flight VI – Nostalgia

In working with computers as a profession I deal with some of the fastest changing technology, I do like learning new things but not everything new do I find wonderful.  Even in my model aviation hobby I tried model helicopters and quadcopters briefly, had some fun and became bored with it. I have purchased several of the RTF fly RC airplanes and become bored with those too fairly quickly.


Witch Hawk 500 Construction

Free flight model airplanes were the first model airplanes and are still the favorite type of model airplane for a good number of people. For many it has held their interest for their entire life although some people fly other types of models too, like I do.  I do not have the great memories of flying the old free flight airplanes like some people do but I do remember seeing the kits and motors in hobby shops plus in magazines. Now I feel like I want to live some of those free flight experiences now.


RTF RC Sbach


Finding that same merchandise in hobby shops today will be difficult but thanks to the Internet it is easy to find most of what was available years ago. New kit laser-cut kits versions of the old models are normally even better than the originals. With the new high powered electric systems the noise and mess are gone but yet I have this desire to build some free flight models with the noisy engines I had avoided for several years flying radio control. 


For One Design Contest 2018


This past year I built and flew my first glow powered free flight which was powered by a tiny Cox PeeWee .020 with the fuel regulated by what was in an eyedropper tank. This plane I built entirely from plans, which was a challenge but the resulting model flies really well. For next flying season I am building a much larger glow powered plane the Witch Hawk 500 using a .19 glow engine for power and also an .049 powered old design the Streak which will use an old K&B .049 engine.


Flying Aces Moth


Last year I built the old time rubber model the Wilbur which I had flying pretty well by the end of the season. For the coming flying season I am building the New Gollywock and a Flying Aces Moth. My current discus launch glider which is a relatively new type of free flight plane came apart in the rain at the Nats so I need to build something new for 2018.

 Bill Kuhl


No comments:

Post a Comment