Saturday, September 21, 2019

Probability, Research and Bass Fishing from Shore

Shores of Lake Winona

I would like to think this article is not so much about my bass fishing experience but about matching my observations with research.  I am comparing snippets of this article “The Behavior and Habits of Largemouth Bass” by William K Johnke.


First of I want to state my observations from fishing from a small lake close to my home very often in the evening: 

  • From the experience of casting artificial lures from shore over many fishing sessions I find there are places that I have caught fish and other places where I have not caught any.

  • Fishing the general areas that have been successful I will cast a half a dozen times before moving a short distance if I do not catch a fish.  Often I will catch a fish in the first couple casts to one small area or I will not, chances of repeatedly casting to the same area are less likely to be successful.

  • Chances seem to be better if you catch a fish right away that you will catch more on that day.

  • More likely I will catch small fish but there are days when I will catch more large fish.  

Jitterbug Lure Splashes the Surface

From the article I learned largemouth bass feed primarily from sensing vibration and sight.  The lures I most often use wiggle and/or disturb the surface. “They take full advantage of periods or areas of subdued light”, that is why I fish later evening until it is almost dark. “The overwhelming majority of bass will be found in that 10 percent of water”, this is why it is so important to find the best locations. “All bass beyond the smaller sizes (nine to thirteen inches in length and averaging a pound in weight) are basically deep-water fish”, no doubt why I catch so many small fish from shore. “Anything which even hints that his survival may be in jeopardy causes him to retreat hastily”, I find after one fish is caught in a spot that it scares other fish for a short time. Returning to that same spot several minutes later another will often be caught.

Bigger Largemouth Bass

Tiny Bass


Bill Kuhl



No comments:

Post a Comment