Thursday, June 14, 2018

Fishing Distraction to Model Airplane Hobby

To me it seems like events that a person really looks forward to seem like forever in the future and then all of a sudden come very quickly.  In July I plan to compete again at the 2018 Free Flight Nats in Muncie Indiana. There are two models I am still finishing up construction on and another one that has not been test flown yet.  When the weather is nice I would rather go fishing or fly model airplanes. With the opening of Largemouth Bass season it seems like there is a week that the fish are pretty easy to catch, even the big ones. That time period has passed but I still like to try during the hour before sunset. RC sailplane flying I sneak in time flying my UMX Radian at a local park during lunch or right after work.


Evening Fishing
Installed New Motor in UMX Radian


For the first time I will have articles in the 2018 NFFS Symposium report coming out this summer. One article is about Viscous DT timers and the other is about recruiting youngsters to free flight model aviation.  I created a website article that is more of a tutorial about the theory on the science of how a viscous DT timer operates; the Symposium article is more about suggestions on more effectively using a viscous DT timer in a free flight model. For testing purposes I installed a viscous DT timer in a rather small sport model the Blue Ridge Special available in a 2 pack semi kit from Volare, construction of the second model is well along. It really did not add much weight to a 14” rubber model and it brings it down effectively by popping up the front of the wing. I have a short video on this and working on more videos somewhat like the blog reports.

Blue Ridge Special



For the first time I have almost completed a larger glow powered free flight, Witch Hawk 500 powered by a K&B .19.  This is my first time running a glow motor on bladder pressure so I have done a lot of test stand running. To start a larger glow engine on a free flight model I also mounted an electric starter on a stool with a foot pedal switch. The plane needs to be balanced, sprayed with clear dope, and DT system installed.

Witch Hawk 500

Starter with Foot Pedal Switch


For this season I had put additional clear dope on my Basic Yeller PeeWee 30 model and replaced some parts in the PeeWee .020 engine.  It has made several flights this year which looked really good. I have ready to fly now a ½ A Streak powered by a K&B .049. The motor has been run several times and the plane test glided, looking forward to first powered test flights.

Basic Yeller Flies Again

 
1/2 A Streak



That is what I have been doing.

Bill Kuhl

Related Links

https://ideas-inspire.com/viscous-dt-tutorial/  Viscous DT Tutorial

https://youtu.be/iOT6h2BYUDE  DT System Added to Blue Ridge Special

https://youtu.be/1-MtPWp_-Pk  Blue Ridge Special DT Flying Clip

https://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=1096&zenid=sbum6usvjh0mrjeitpouvm2f11  Blue Ridge Special 2-pack Short Kits

2 comments:

  1. With such a simple RC plane, can it fly normally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The UMX Radian is the only RC plane pictured the others are free flight and fly just fine with no control.

    ReplyDelete