Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bud Ramer the Businessman

"Ramer attributes his good fortune to salesmanship and a constant search for new markets. "Any idiot can go out and catch a boatload of fish," Ramer says. "The real trick is finding someone who'll pay for them."

From DNR Webpage



Bud Ramer



Besides my father I know of another guy who built up a successful business from almost nothing, his name was Henry Ramer but everyone knew him as Bud. I don’t know the details of his life I had heard he had been in trouble as a youth.  He had a successful retail and commercial fishing operation in Winona Minnesota for a lot of years. I had met Bud from seeing him at Shorty’s restaurant, on occasion I would help him out with a problem on his computer at the store. He would always try to pay me but I would always refuse, it was more fun to get to go out on his fishing boat instead.

Fish Delivery Truck
Hoop Nets 

What impressed me besides his extension knowledge of the Mississippi River and commercial fishing was his business savvy. He once told me that he would pay the extra money to get some new technology before other people had it because it gave him a jump on the competition. He had purchased some kind of depth finder when it was really expensive but felt even afterwards it was worth it.  I also remember he purchased a special radio control submarine that would pull a line under the ice so nets could be strung under the ice.  Before that long boards were pushed between a series of holes cut in the ice which took a lot longer.


Air Boat


Once a week Bud would drive a truck full of fish to markets in the Twin Cities area, some of the fish were live because he had found a market for live fish.  He knew a lot of people and with his connections he supplied the catfish that was used in the Grumpier Old Men movie, there were pictures at his store of him with the stars of the movie. If something was not making him money, he would cut his losses and discontinue it such as the fish store he had in Rochester Minnesota.




Bill Kuhl

No comments:

Post a Comment