In building the kit the wood parts for the kit were all laser-cut which made for a good fit. I was worrying about finding a "soft iron" core for my motor but this motor used a couple of small bolts for the core. Like my motor the shaft was solid brass but the bearings were wood while I had used plastic. I got the wood bearings as free as I could but I think the plastic would still have less friction.
|Brush on the Right has Big Gap|
|Holding Brushes the Motor Did Run|
In the kit the commutator was made from the ends of the wire coming off the coils. The brushes need to be bent to a curve so there is contact with the wires. This appears to be difficult to form accurately enough and maybe is not supported well enough either. The one time I got the motor to run I had my fingers supporting the brushes. I would like to make some changes with the brushes and see if this motor might run better.
|If Only Wire Brushes Could be Bent This Well|
2-Pole Motor I had Built